Wednesday, July 26, 2017

Now or Never: A Comfort Zone Abandoned


Written by: Franzene Minott
Program Intern, World Affairs Council of Atlanta
Student, Georgia State University
Published: 7/26/2017

There should come a time when a person realizes that there’s more to life than what they’re accustomed to and that – despite one’s seemingly popular belief – there is actually no right way to perceive the world. For some, this altered perspective occurs after moving away for college or after relocating to a new city. But then there are others (like myself) whose upbringing immediately connected them to life beyond the domestic borders of which they were raised.
Born a first-generation American to Jamaican immigrants, my childhood was centered on cultural appreciation. Beyond the years spent in the Caribbean, testimonies of my family’s travel during my father’s military service painted my youth. In retrospect, I believe these recollections fueled my own desire for exploration. From Saudi Arabia to Germany, not being able to visit these fascinating places only increased my curiosity of the surrounding world. At eleven years old, the 2007 People to People World Leadership Forum in Washington D.C marked my emergence into the international arena. From there, I was admitted into my high school’s specialized International Studies magnet program concentrating in comparative government, world history, and human geography. Now, with just one more year left in undergrad, I knew it was time for the next step. And what’s the best way to abandon your comfort zone and fully immerse yourself into a new culture? Studying abroad!
After seven years of taking Spanish language courses, naturally, I chose to live in the French town of Lille for four months. Because if you’re going to do something radical, it’s now or never, right?

But despite my initial trepidation about living in a place with an obvious language barrier, I have never been more excited to challenge my own independence and capabilities in such a dynamic country.

While my education thus far has analyzed the various dimensions of American government, it has limited my knowledge on the complexities of the European Union. We are undoubtedly living in unprecedented times and better comprehension of our allies’ political platforms is imperative for my own professional development.

As a psychology and political science minor, I realize each day how the two interrelate in world affairs. As I pursue a career in international relations, understanding the human condition becomes a vital tool when assessing the complexities and repercussions of man-made policy.
At its core, a successful social exchange requires mutual understanding (yes, even among disagreeing parties). During my 13 weeks with the World Affairs Council of Atlanta, I was able to examine today’s complex global issues in not only a nonpartisan forum, but among a diverse congregation. Beyond facilitating the ideal environment for the examination of worldly affairs, I was presented with an invaluable introduction into Atlanta’s international corporate community.

As I emerge as a global citizen, I understand that reaching my full potential requires emancipating myself from a one-tract mind. With a sense of refined purpose and confidence achieved through this internship, I have never felt more prepared for life’s newest ventures abroad.

No comments:

Post a Comment