Tuesday, October 30, 2018

The More You Know


 Written by: Jazzmen Fobbs
Program Intern, World Affairs Council of Atlanta
Student, Georgia State University
Published: 10/30/2018

The More You Know

When I began taking classes at Georgia State University, meeting new people and getting involved in my chapter, I couldn’t help but feel like the odd one out. Nearly every person I met had at least one story to tell about a country or countries they’d traveled to; it was unbelievable. Everyone had so much experience, and it felt like there was so much that I didn’t know about the world. I grew up in one of the smallest towns in Southern Georgia, and no one casually left the country unless it were for military reasons. The diversity of the campus became one of my favorite things about GSU.
           
Towards the end of first semester, junior year, I moved in with my three roommates, one of whom I’ve grown extremely close to. She’s been to over 7 countries and visits Japan once a year. Fortunately, we share the same major and we’re always up talking about our future plans and the places we want to travel. She is the first person who pushed me to leave the US, and I am so grateful that she did. One day she came home with brochures from a class presentation, saying “let’s go to Argentina.” Although I was reluctant at first, she convinced me to apply regardless of my fear of the unknown. Everyone who’s traveled abroad always emphasizes the importance of going abroad before graduating college and how life changing these experiences can be. But although I began to entertain the idea of taking such a leap, I had no idea how I would possibly afford such a trip. Initially, I thought there was no way everything would fall into place. We wouldn’t get in the program on time, the flights would be too expensive or there’d only be room for one of us. All of these excuses to the reality that I was fearful of leaving my comfort zone. Luckily, we were both accepted and awarded scholarships to go towards the cost of the trip and stay. I worked endless hours to save up to pay any other expenses but never would I have ever imagined that all this work was going to pay off in the way it did.
            
After boarding in Atlanta we had a layover in Peru, took a boat to Uruguay, and finally arrived in Argentina. Everything was an entirely different experience. We hadn’t been in Córdoba for more than five days when our professor suggested that we join a march in the city during our free time. Stores and schools were closing early and everyone was meeting near Patio Olmos to begin protesting the 2 for 1 law. This ruling was being considered to reduce the sentences for those convicted of human rights violations that took place under the military dictatorship from 1976-1983. The turnout at the protest was incredible, it seemed as if most of the city was out marching with us. The most admirable thing about that night was that despite the size and relevance of the march, it was the most high-spirited protest I’d ever seen. I could easily compare it to something more upbeat like a parade, and it was an experience I’ll never forget. We even made the front page of their local newspaper.
            

Though the reason I was able to study abroad was to take a psychology course, this journey has an unexpected impact in my life and made me reevaluate my career path. Back in Georgia State, I had recently picked up Political Science as my second major, and I started to feel more intrigued by the field than I did by psychology. This curiosity was exalted by everything in Argentina but particularly the old detention centers such as “La Perla.” To hear the stories of the missing people and stand in the same place where they had once been was heartbreaking. Almost 30,000 people had disappeared or been killed and I learned way much more then I would have known if it weren’t for my time abroad. The more I learned, the more I wanted to know and tell others. I couldn’t believe that an entire genocide took place only 40 years ago and it wasn’t common knowledge to us in the United States.
            
Finally, this the trip culminated with the unforgettable experience of walking with the Mothers of Plaza de Mayo in the Plaza de Mayo in Buenos Aires. These mothers have been marching weekly for four decades. They have consistently been coming together with pictures of their missing loved ones protesting the government’s efforts to “forget” about the Dirty War and stop the trials of those convicted. Overall, it was such an eye opening experience to be around such amazing people who continue to fight endlessly for justice and to see pictures of everyone throughout the cities who would never be forgotten by their families. I have never seen such adamant people; the entire trip was inspiring.
“When people are determined they can overcome anything” –Nelson Mandela


No comments:

Post a Comment