Monday, August 22, 2016

New York, New York…

Written By: Clarissia Bourdeau
Program Intern, World Affairs Council of Atlanta
Student, Georgia State University
Published: 8/22/2016
This past March I had the honor of representing Georgia State University at the National Model United Nations Conference (NMUN).  My experience as emulating a delegation from Indonesia showed me how important diplomacy, negotiation, understanding, and creating a win-win situation play pivotal roles in resolving some of the world crisis. My discussion with other delegations not only allowed me to gain new perspectives, insights and ideas as I discussed international politics with students from all over the world, but it also showed me how every country plays a part in creating a safe and sustainable world for future generations. Within that week, due to discussions with people until midnight, debates, and ideas coming to me while sleeping, I along with my fellow teammates was able to create comprehensive resolutions for the issues that the world was facing. NMUN not only allowed me to meet new people, but it also encouraged me to increase my confidence, and ultimately diminish my fear, in public speaking, create new connections and to always be a mediator.

The months leading up to NMUN I had to undergo training. This training allowed me to strengthen my public speaking skills, increase my awareness of what my fellow committee members might want and to understand the importance of trying and getting the best deals for everyone. With the support of my advisor and team members I was not only able to face my fears and realize how important public speaking is to making your opinions, thoughts, idea and goals known, but how it is also a powerful resource in a committee with hundreds of other students. It can create a pathway to open up discussions and create dialogues on some of the most sensitive topics in the world. By the end of my week in committee, I truly learned why speaking up and solidifying that your ideas are known is not being combative, but creating a platform for a discussion on your thoughts to begin.

My internship at the World Affairs Council of Atlanta allowed me to gain more insight into the international community. As a Political Science major with a concentration in International Affairs, this internship has given me front row access to an intuitive discussion on things that are going on the world. The information that I have learned from the programs I have attended and people that I have met has allowed me to combine the information I gained at the NMUN conference and my internship and has given me a better perspective on global crisis and how the international community and individual countries are trying to handle the situation.

As I reflect upon the last several months I have come to realize how attending NMUN and getting this amazing internship; I have evolved. When I began this internship, I started to think about what I wanted my role in the international community to be and what my ultimate goals are, by the end I have sealed my career path and have decided that opening discussion, dialogues and being a mediator are what I want to do.  My week in New York allowed me to realize the international community collective goals were and how they were meeting, but my internship allowed me to understand what I needed to do to ensure the international community succeeded in their mission.




No comments:

Post a Comment